Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Einstien qoute of the day

I read an interesting quote today made by Einstein "No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it". One a personal level this means that I can't expect to solve a problem that I created unless I alter my self. This is a daunting prospect when one person is concerned and I believe it is next to impossible when an organization or a government is concerned. I believe the current bailout plan being discussed in the Congress is not a solution. It seems more like a patch to keep things going until it becomes someone else's problem.
On a different yet some how related topic, Project management is not something that everyone can step into without training or prior experience. In many firms the only way to reward people who do well in technical positions is by having them move up in the corporate ladder into management/administrative positions. This brings me to my main point; Good programmers do not make good project managers. Some skills overlap, like the ability to think clearly but most are mutually exclusive. Moving a good programmer into a position as a project manager turns out to be a double whammy. You loose a good programmer and gain a bad project manager. Some organizations have found a way out of this by giving talented technical people the option of moving into management positions or staying in the current role with additional perks and benefits that would be akin to the one s/he would receive for moving up the corporate ladder. Google comes to mind as a company that has successfully implemented this policy. This is one of the reasons why I would love to move into a company that has software development as it's core business. My current experience with project management leaves a lot to be desired.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger ab said...

>I believe the current bailout plan >being discussed in the Congress is >not a solution. It seems more like >a patch to keep things going until >it becomes someone else's problem.

Yes.

3:36 AM  
Blogger Kiat said...

My favorite of him
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

6:47 AM  
Blogger ab said...

Stupidity? Really? We have no heads of state that currently exhibit that quality.

10:13 AM  
Blogger syed said...

Chance: I don't understand the bailout plan in all it's glorious complexity. But the simple part seems like they are going to shaft the tax payers.
Kiat: that's a good quote.

11:18 AM  
Blogger ab said...

Syed, I was agreeing with you. Anywho, I don't think you personally have to worry. What is Saudi Arabia's economy like? I admit I don't have a clear picture of it.

3:37 PM  
Blogger syed said...

I didn't mean we weren't in agreement, I was asking you if you could explain the bailout plan a bit better. Saudi Arabia's economy is based on oil. So it will be fine, but the wider implications of a break down in the American economy causes worry across the globe. Plus, you guys are there so I do worry.

2:01 AM  
Blogger ab said...

I think that's the issue with the bailout. No one knows the details. I think the government is going to give itself a blank check to fix the problems. They estimate 700 billion, but once they get started buying bad mortgages, rescuing investment banks, and saving insurers, will they do more? I hope not. I wonder why 700 billion when Buffet is going to prop up Goldman Sachs with between 5-10 billion. Anywho, thanks for the concern, but I have no debt and have a decent amount in retirement, stocks, and bank accounts. I think what I need to do is procure more in cash, precious metals, and go more international with my investments (I am somewhat now global: SAY, KOF, ALU, SWOIX, and FNORX). I agree it will effect the globe, but necessity is the mother of invention.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home