Monday, October 13, 2008

laptops

I need to buy my wife an anniversary / eid gift. You might think that buying one gift for two occasions was a very trifty decision on my part but rest assured it will not cheap, specially in Saudi Arabia. As a matter of fact I have decided to buy her a laptop, depending on how things go I might even buy my brother the same one. Finding a good laptop is no easy decision. I went through all of the regular sites like cnet and pcworld and came up with a list of 5 laptops that I think I should be able to afford without burning a hole in my wallet. Here is the list
  1. Gateway T-6836 $649
  2. Dell Inspiron 1525 $649 - available at Jarir bookstore
  3. DELL XPS M1210 Notebook $599
  4. DELL Inspiron 1720 $750
  5. Dell Inspiron 1420 $599
  6. HP Pavilion dv2915nr $699

Now, the order of preference is there but I seriously doubt that I will be able to find a Gateway computer here. I remember a time when gateway was a joke, I wouldn't even consider using one if it was given to me as a gift but they have done a really good job at re inventing them selves. There is something to be said about brand re-invention. Apple did it, Motorola needs it and Gateway is doing it. The dell Inspiron is available at a local store but I don't know what the price of it will be, I know the price on the Dell website and if I have to pay about $200 more I will be fine with it, but if they charge me $1000 for something that's worth $649 I will probably have to re evaluate my options. I will update this posting when I get the price from Jarir.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Kiat said...

HP has been doing a good job lately after the merger with Compaq. Or the other way round? I lost track. But oh well, check out either a Compaq or a HP.

9:00 AM  
Blogger ab said...

This is the laptop I have and I love it, with the exception of Vista, but I installed XP on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220216

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have a wife?! When did that happen! And why wasn't i told!

Em I say macbook all the way for style over substance!

2:02 PM  
Blogger syed said...

Kiat: My current laptop is an HP, I'm happy with it but it's 2 years old now. I was given the option of handing over my old laptop to her and picking up a new one myself.
Chance: Thanks, getting an ASUS is KSA might be a bit hard but I will look into it. I'm actually more worried about the customer service they might have here.
Yin: I did it last year when no one was looking :) Arranged marriage all the way so nothing major to report there. There might be a few pictures around facebook if you're interested.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**goes straight to find Syed on the book **

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**discovers there a million Syeds with the same name - stands by for more information (via email of course!) **

12:23 PM  
Blogger syed said...

The price for the $699 laptop from dell in Saudi Arabia is $1000.
Great...

5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home