Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Why didn't I think of that?

Sometimes you come across a new idea or technology and your first reaction is "That's so obvious, why didn't I think of that?" These ideas range from the Google search engine to Velcro. The latest idea that found my ingenuity lacking was OnLive, TiVo for games. Actually I'm not really sure how Tivo works, never having owned it. I don't think it's available in Saudi Arabia but I read about how OnLive works and I think it's genius. Depending on their pricing models and the quality of service they offer they stand to make a killing. I wonder how they will eventually make it work, will they load the games into the PC's ram and then transfer data as needed or will it be more like a remote desktop thing where all the processing will be done on the remote machine and your machine will just be used to log in and view it. I think they should offer both models, higher end PC's should be able to share more of the processing load while lower end PC's will just act as portals accessing the servers processing capabilities. For more information go to
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2009-03-24-onlive_N.htm

In other news, I am reading up on Support Vector Machines & the Monte Carlo method, I don't know how the two would work together but I have some ideas on making them work. My next blog posting will probably serve as an intro to one of the two subjects.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ab said...

Next blog post please.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Kiat said...

OnLive does sound very attractive!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Kiat said...

Then here's a more skeptical thought:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gdc-why-onlive-cant-possibly-work-article

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home