Sunday, September 10, 2006

Navaratilova

She is 49, with about a week left to turn 50, and just won the mixed doubles event at the US open. What an amazing physique. In other news I got back to the gym ,yesterday, after a week of being sick and got in a ligth workout. Today I will hopefully spend more time on the eliptical, should get in a good 1/2 hour on it.
If you are ever around the arab world don't be surprised if someone gives you the air kiss. It's quite a common way of greeting each other. You peck someone on the cheek once on the right, once on the left and, depending on the part of the arab world, once on the left or right. Men hold hands quite often and it is not considered weird at all to have an area demarcated as men only in a shopping mall. In a completely male dominated society with all its opposition to homosexuality I think it would be very easy for someone of that sexual preference to survive in Saudi Arabia. All you would have to do is tame the extragavent sense of dressing. Actually, you know what? Seeing the way some of the guys dress here, even an extragavent sense of dressing wouldn't give you away.
For those of you who don't know where all of that came from, I found out that Navaratilova is a lesbian. You can't really hold that against anyone, I know a family friend that was born gay. When everyone was around 10 years old and playing football on the streets, he was inside playing with his "action figures". He is now in Canada studying fashion design. Some people are just born that way.

7 Comments:

Blogger yinyogi said...

So I guess there's not many openly gay in Saudi? That must be hard for people who are gay and have to hide it.

They should come to Dublin...one of the pinkest capital cities in europe!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a punishment for being gay in Saudi Arabia?

مساءالخثر

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a punishment for being gay in Saudi Arabia?

مساءالخثر

10:50 AM  
Blogger syed said...

yin: I doubt it is hard to be gay in Saudi Arabia, ofcourse they don't have annual gay parade and they don't announce it to society so I guess that makes it more difficult then say Dublin or California.
I think the punishment for it would be death. Well it used to be anyways till Saudi Arabia joined the WTO. Now it seems the officials are more apt to ignore it.

11:21 PM  
Blogger yinyogi said...

Death...yoicks! What do you think about that?

3:03 AM  
Blogger syed said...

I doubt my opinion really matters. I don't think killing people solves anything. I don't think it is right.
I do however believe that people who kill others should be treated the same and one of their rule's I whole hearted agree to is death for rapists. Some people might not agree with that one, but if you have a friend who has gone through such trauma you will know what I am talking about.

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

صباح الخير

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home