Monday, August 07, 2006

A lull in life

I'm not completely sure if that is how you spell the word lull, but I don't really care. Been a little boring around here recently, there really isn't much to do in Riyadh.
About every 2 months or so I try to take a week off from working out, that week is approaching rapidly and I must say I am looking forward to it. My body has started to show signs of aging, pains and aches don't go away as quickly as they used to and my legs are starting to complain from all the running. It will be nice to be a couch potato for a week. Though I don't enjoy watching TV too much, my family tends to watch the news all the time and that is pretty depressing right now, the other two alternatives would be to play on the computer, and yes at 25 I still play computer games, or read a book. Reading a book would be the mature alternative but I try to stay away from things that might make people think I am mature. No sense trying to be mature before you are ready for it. I dreamt about skiing yesterday night, I have only been skiing once in my life and I loved it. It was a three day trip and I spent the first day on my back side slipping and slidding down the "bunny slope" it was only after a friend, thank you Basel, convinced me to get on the greeen slope that I finally learnt how to do it right. Getting the tickets for the trip was an experience I will never forget. It was a school sponsored trip at IIT and me and some friends stood in a line all night, outside the student hall, on one of the coldest night in Chicago. We played UNO, had a soccer match, built an igloo and slept underneath the HUB, the name of the old student activities centre, stairs. Despite the misery of being out during the coldest night that year we had an awesome time. It goes to prove that even the worst conditions can be made bearable and even enjoyable by the presence of a few good friends.
I don't think I have any photos from the event but I think it would be cool if I could find some to post here. I will ask around and see if I can find some.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to school in Chicago as well. I am now back in Riyadh and I miss it back there. When did you come back from there ?

9:50 AM  
Blogger Kiat said...

Oh, you forgot to mention about the rumor of fightings that night:-P

9:59 AM  
Blogger syed said...

anonymous: I understand missing chicago, it was an awesome place. It was sad that I discovered many of the great things about chicago just before I left, like free concerts at melinium park and running on the lake shore front. I got back about a year ago but was living in ny for about a 6 months before that. we should meet up and miss chicago together.
kiat: there were no fights :-) just rumors of fights and post something already will you.

11:24 PM  
Blogger Kiat said...

I am still looking to post pictures using CSS alternative instead of html table:-P

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HYDERABAD BASED MUNSIF AND SIASAT URDU DAILY EDITORS GRAB WAQF LANDS
Urdu Media War and the Wakf properties tussle in Hyd ; MiM Leader Akbaruddin Owaisi
(Friday, Dec 09, 2005 - 09:00 pm) TeamMedia war among Urdu dailies was taken to Assembly in Hyderabad, when MIM floor leader Akbaruddin Owaisi accused Siasat and Munsif Urdu daily owners of grabbing Wakf properties and demanded stern action against them.Mr Owaisi armed with statistics and details of all Waqf Lands which are being encroached upon said govt is going soft on these editors as they are trying to threaten the govt through there newspapers .In the same breath he also alleged that no action was taken against grabbers of Wakf properties in city and outside including Viceroy Hotel, Shaam and Sensation theatres, local reports inform. Turning his ire on owners of rival Urdu dailies, Siasat and Musif, he said, "Mr Zahid Ali Khan has illegally encroached Wakf property. He is a white collar land grabber. Why is the government keeping quite? You should put them behind bars." Shifting his heat on another Urdu daily Munsif owner, he remarked, "Mr Khan Lateef Khan...the double Khan.. too has encroached Wakf properties housing Santosh and Sapna theatres, yet no action has been taken. The government should take stringent action against encroachers of Wakf properties," he alleged. Reacting to Mr Owaisi's demand, minister for minorities welfare Mohd Fareeduddin assured that the government would enquire into the matter and would not "spare anyone however big he might be." Referring to allotment of land to one Tajuddin, he said the land was given on a lease for three years for agricultural purposes and the renewal would depend on the government He also accused them of trying to cover there illegal grabbing of land by bribing some high officals in the govt .

4:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home