Sunday, November 05, 2006

Nuclear weapons & African American professors.

The title to this blog is misleading. It's based on two thoughts I had recently and not how African Americans professors contributed to the development of nuclear weapons.
1. My college, IIT, which was located in Chicago and had the largest % of international students of any college at the time but didn't have any African American professors. We had British, Iranian, Chinese, Indian, Caucasian, Mexican, German etc professors but nobody that was African American. I don't understand it. Some of my professors couldn't even speak english properly but they still taught us. Public safety, our personal police force, was almost 100% African American. I just realized this ... Weird.. I am sure there is a lot more that can be read into this but I will have to reflect on it somemore before I can comment on it. The short explanation would be racism. The long explanation would still be racism, but would explain how it affects us in its many ugly ways.
2. The only country in the world that has suffered from Nuclear weapons refuses to obtain them even though its neighbor develops them. A neighbor that has time and again shown its aggressive tendencies towards them. The country ofcourse is Japan, I don't think there can be a stronger message Japan can send to the rest of the world that in face of the new threats that nuclear technology is redundant. Nuclear weapons are not to be kept for whatever reason. They are not the solution to anything, unless the problem is how do we destroy ourselves completely. The main reason some of these countries (USA, UK, France, India, Pakistan, Israel, China etc) cite for keeping these weapons is to maintain world order and for it, the nuclear weapons, to act as a deterrent. But with the emergence of "terrorism" as the main challenger to the strength of these countries the fact that these people are willing to give their lives to kill others makes nuclear weapons obsolete.
I can write more meaningful thoughts but that wouldn't be in style of my blog, I am starting to feel a little under the weather and need to play a football (soccer for some people) game. I think I will go home and get something to eat and take something for my sore throat.

4 Comments:

Blogger Uzair said...

Seriously dude, you're such a girl...sore throat indeed! ;)

12:31 PM  
Blogger syed said...

lol, you read all of that and comment on my sore throat :p

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was about to comment on that too but Uzair made it before I did:-P

9:26 AM  
Blogger syed said...

great... both of went to IIT with me, atleast you could have said something about the race issue.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home