Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Author smoking weed

This is how to tell if an author of a technical book has been smoking weed, the first paragraph is usually messed. I picked up a new book on Enterprise Java Beans, let's call it a programming methodology for lack of a better term, and this was the first paragraph
"One day, when God was looking over his creatures, he noticed a boy named Sadhu whose humor and cleverness pleased him. God felt generous that day and granted Sadhu three wishes. Sadhu asked for three reincarnations—one as a ladybug, one as an elephant, and the last as a cow. Surprised by these wishes, God asked Sadhu to explain himself. The boy replied, “I want to be a ladybug so that everyone in the world will admire me for my beauty and forgive the fact that I do no work. Being an elephant will be fun because I can gobble down enormous amounts of food without being ridiculed. I will like being a cow the best because I will be loved by all and useful to mankind.” God was charmed by these answers and allowed Sadhu to live through the three incarnations. He then made Sadhu a morning star for his service to humankind as a cow."
Interesting story to be sure, but at this point I was completely confused and then the author said "Enterprise Java beans have also gone through three incarnations" This is probably the eirdest way someone has explained the versions of a technology. Plus, I don't think lady bugs are all that pretty anyways ...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Kiat said...

Well, at least it has an interesting introduction. As far as I can remember, the other technical books always start with the reasons that they started the book (which usually was that other books sucks and they have to start their own for the benefit of mankind), and then thanks to their family (which usually was to thank their dedications and understanding while the author worked on the book and had left no time for the family).

You got an interesting book to read man!

12:21 PM  
Blogger syed said...

Yeah, it's actually turning out to be a pretty good book.

7:59 AM  
Blogger ab said...

I've finally joined the 21st Century and use a Feed Reader (Google Reader) now. You have the privilege of me reading your feed.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Kiat said...

*Open arms* welcome Chance.

2:43 PM  
Blogger ab said...

Thanks Kiat. In the realm of IIT news, I received a call about AlumniFest last nite. Has anyone else received one of these?

8:07 AM  
Blogger syed said...

Hey Chance,
Good to see you on here again. How are things going with you?

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home