Thursday, December 14, 2006

Last blog from India

Waiting for my connecting flight to Riyadh in Mumbai/ Bombay. I never did figure out why the changed the name of that city. It's not like Bombay woke up one day and realized that the name wasn't good enough. The only reason I can think of is, post September 11th, the word Bomb in a city name is cause for concern. But the name was change before September 11th.
Anyways, the CEO of the company I work for came into the office today and I heard him speak about his background. The guy has been in the financial field for over 30 years and got started in the London school of economics. Then did postgraduate work in Harvard in psychology before doing a degree in law. He was asking around about where people want to be in 5 years time and I could think of one thing, I want to done with an MBA in 5 years. I guess that's as good goal as any. I am torn between waning to stay in Saudi Arabia with my parents and moving to NY to do my MBA. I know one thing though, if I were to do an MBA, I don't want it to be a distance education thing or in some crappy college.
I love this executive lounge, I had to upgrade my flight from economy class to executive class because they cancelled my reservations for not reconfirming 72 hours in advance and by the time I tried to book the flight again the economy class seats were all full. I got a great deal though, I upgraded my flight from Bangalore to Riyadh for about $60 or about 3000 rupees.
Anyways, I realized that the domestic air terminal in Bangalore has better stores than the international terminal. Kinda sad, they have no real book stores. They had one measly little store where I picked up an Asterix comic book, Asterix the Legionary.
Oh, and I am reading a book called "A Brief History of everything" by Bill Bryson just started reading it so I won't say much about it till I get further into it. But I liked what I have read so far. But one sentence that struck as being something very obvious but something I have never thought about, We are all composed of atoms that are not alive but we as a whole are, if we were to use a really small tweezer and remove our atoms one at a time we would end up with really fine atomic dust that, and none of those atoms can claim to be alive. In some ways this reminds of the object oriented programming. It is a programming paradigm that basically says small parts come together and interact to solve a difficult problem. Modeling real world objects is easier using this paradigm.
Alright, My next entry will be from Riyadh, about 2800 km or 1721 miles away.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you are intrigued by the concept of small mindless parts coming alive together to create something grand, there are supposed to be some great books out there on this subject - emergence by the way. i hear "emergence: the connected lives of ants, cities and brains" is a good one, more fun than technical, but worth it non-the-less. i haven't read it yet, but i'm planning on it. i'm also planning on emailing you soon. :)

7:28 AM  
Blogger syed said...

I am intrigued by the name of that book.. and I guess you must have figured out by now it takes very little to intrigue me. I am all giddy with expectation of getting your email :-)

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home